Home » Self-Assessment

Self-Assessment

7. Practice using various library resources, online databases, and the internet to locate sources appropriate to your writing projects.

Most of my skills in using the library database were already learned from previous classes, however, the group literature review allow me the explore areas I did not knew existed in the online library system. The literature review also allowed me to strengthen the skills that I had already learned.

8. Strengthen your source use practices (including evaluating, integrating, quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, synthesizing, analyzing, and citing sources).

A great essay has strong sources and inorder to get strong sources one must evaluate them. How qualified the author of that source is to give information on the topic at hand? Where were the  the source found? Online, in a school library? Is it peer review? How current it the source? These are some questions one must asking themselves when evaluating a source.

One most also know the proper way of integrating their chosen sources into their essay, this could help them avoid plagiarism account, and overall sharpen the skills as an academic writer. One most know when use MLA, APA, Chicago Manual etc, and how to quote, paraphrase, summarize and synthesize in each.